This is the issue that started it all: The 20/20 thematically devoted to Millennials dubbed GenEYE and now in a decade of tradition acknowledged as the most important tribe in eyewear. We at 20/20 remain keen on this very special generation of young Americans intent on rewriting the rules of engagement in a unique and positive way in all scenarios from politics to health to media to humanity and, in a slightly smaller but no less significant way… to eyewear. It takes a special understanding of trending and selling when it comes to staying in the critical eye of GenEYE. Here’s hoping we can help.
—James J. Spina
Photographed by NED MATURA
From left: AIRMAG AP6440 from Clariti Eyewear; TWO BY FOUR from l.a.Eyeworks; CARRERA 5023/S from Sàfilo
From left: XOXO 2337 from The McGee Group; SCHENLEY from Norman Childs Eyewear; DEREK LAM Bowery from Modo; VANNI 1955 from Design Gallery/A Division of Match Eyewear
From top: CAFE LUNETTES 3209 from Silver Dollar Optical; SEVENTY ONE Bryant from A&A Optical
From left: ALEX from Kirk & Kirk; VINCE CAMUTO 0412 from Colors in Optics; BEBE Miss-Understood 5090 from Altair Eyewear; CONVERSE Q048 UF from Rem Eyewear
From top: PARADOX 5008 from Aspex Eyewear; ESPRIT 17477 from Charmant Group; YOU’S AMSTERDAM 1056 from Ultra Palm Optical; VAVOOM 8047 from Avalon Eyewear; BCBGMAXAZRIA Ileana from ClearVision Optical
Left from top: CHRISTIAN ROTH F10 from Christian Roth;
G-STAR RAW Double Ackoy from Marchon Eyewear
Right from top: PERRY ELLIS 357 from Eyewear Designs;
SCOTT HARRIS VINTAGE 32 from Europa International
From top: AVEN RAY from Gotti Switzerland; BIGGU 762 from Menizzi Eyewearl
Left from top: TED BAKER 874 from Tura; MARNI from i-dealoptics;
VAN HEUSEN STUDIO S346 from Nouveau Eyewear
Right from top: BEVEL 8672 from Bevel Specs;
INNOTEC Shaw from Ogi Eyewear; CHARLES STONE
NEW YORK 85 from Classique Eyewear
Eye want the world and Eye want it on GenEYE terms:
- How perfect that a generation bidding by truthful transparency also seems so attuned to that lucidity with lightly-colored crystals, especially pink, yellow, blue and… totally clear.
- In virtually an instant, the taste in frames romps from thick to thin (and light!) in a significant way. (Watch as well as those beards disappear!)
- Insular to an extreme… no wonder they love those combo CLUBman styles.
- The go-to P3 is getting closer to round every second.
- Don’t discount those oversized frames when it comes to the women in this generation. It’s all about making a BIG statement.
- And… the guys truly believe the REAL HERO is Clark Kent and not superman.